20 minutes from start to serve.
- 1 tsp oil (olive, coconut, avocado, etc.)
- ½ large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. Better than Bouillon veggie base
- 2 cups water
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped
- 2 – 15. Oz cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano or basil or Italian seasonings
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
With Instant Pot set on Saute’, heat fat and add onion. Brown slightly. Add tomato paste and garlic. Heat. Add remaining ingredients. Cover with lid and set to Manual Steam for 10 minutes.
Close pressure gauge.
After the machine is finished. Use NPR for 5 minutes then QR in five-second increments. (This will assure the soup does not rise through the gauge to be all over the counter.)
Remove lid and remove both bay leaves.
Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth or leave a few chunks of tomatoes, this is your personal preference.
For additional ingredients, try adding:
- one sweet potato, chopped -or-
- a large handful of fresh spinach -or-
- 1/2 cup lentils -or-
- 1/2 cup half and half for a creamier texture -or-
- Use your imagination
These measurements for the entire recipe are adjustable to your taste. Want more tomato paste for a thicker soup, add it? Are you a fan of fresh basil, then add it before pressure cooking the soup? The only ingredient not to be eliminated would be the water, you must have at least one cup water to assure a good pressure while cooking.