As I reach for my journal and Bible to start my morning routine, I am already asking God, “Who am I going to pray for today?” The first thought to cross my mind is “young moms.” So I begin simply praying, asking God to direct my prayer, first, on thanking Him for these young moms and second, for scriptures to pray over them. Then, I ask God, why He prompted me to pray for them?
Often, young moms are too consumed with others to take the time or make the time to pray for themselves, we older women are told in Titus 2, it is our responsibility to teach, and I believe, to uphold these young moms in prayer. If we older women would correctly remember our own past lives as young moms, we would remember times when distractions, minor accidents, sibling rivalries, skipped breakfasts, making lunches, a late bus, an unexpected phone call and many more interruptions, were our way of life. Morning routines were anything but routine! The same is true for the young moms of today.
For this time of my life, when my children are raising their own families, I feel I must begin to pray for these younger women. So how could you and I pray for young moms, which are helping to raise their children, our future generations of Christian Soldiers?
A FEW VERSES TO PRAY OVER YOUNG MOMS
- Ephesians 4:2 “Always be humble and gentle Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love.”
- 1 Corinthians 13:4 “Love is patient and kind.”
- Colossians 1:11 “We also pray that you will be strengthened with all His glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy.”
For doing good:
- Luke 6:27 “But to you who are willing to listen, I say, love your enemies! Do good to those who hate you.”
- Romans 2:10 “But there will be glory and honor and peace from God for all who do good…”
- Ephesians 2:10 “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago.”
- Romans 12:2 “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.”
- 1 Corinthians 13:3 “If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it, but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.”
- Psalm 32:10 “Many sorrows come to the wicked, but unfailing love surrounds those who trust in the Lord.”
- 1 Timothy 4:12 “Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.”
- Proverbs 22:11 “Whoever loves a pure heart and gracious speech will have the king as a friend.”
- 1 Timothy 5:2 “Treat older women as you would your mother, and treat younger women with all purity as you would your own sisters.”
HOW I PRAY SCRIPTURE OVER SOME ONE
Using my daughter-in-love, Neva and Ephesians 2:10 for my example, I choose the scripture and insert her name to make it unique to her.
- Lord, you created Neva as Your masterpiece. You created her to be unique. As she comes to know you more, help her fall in love more and more with You and help her become the new woman You created her to be. You have plans for her future, so as she learns to walk in Your plans, Your ways, guide her and walk beside her. Love her and fill her heart with knowledge and wisdom only You can give.” Amen
ALL YOUNG MOMS NEED PRAYER
You won’t need to look hard to find moms in need of prayer. Visit your local grocery store, while walking down the aisle you may spot a young woman with a child or two in tow. Silently pray for her. In your church, you’ll find young moms, they’ll be the ones sitting in the back. Your own family, your friends children, everywhere are young moms in need of prayers.
I am the “older woman” mentioned in Titus 2. I have the time, now, to pray and seek God for the young moms I know. Here is my list of young moms I pray for on a regular basis. I hope and pray you will develop your own list of moms also. If you want your name added to my list, just let me know. There is always room and reason to pray!